Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Horse Update

I am begining the new year with a new horse trainer. It was an extremely difficult decision to make; 1st to leave Rick & 2nd deciding where to go.

Early in December I talked to Rick about our goals for 2008. I'd really like to step up our game and go to some big shows. Breezy is getting older and I don't want to have any regrets or shoulda-coulda-wouldas. He understood and wanted the same things for me, but with no other clients going to the big shows he wouldn't be able to go with me. He suggested that I consider taking Breezy to another trainer. I've never had to 'choose' a trainer before. Debbie McEwen found me when I was 6 years old and then Rick asked me to work from him when I was a junior in high school. It was a painful decision to leave Rick and then it felt daunting trying to select a new trainer. Rick had a couple in mind for me and made some calls for me which was super helpful. I did some research on my own on the trainers he suggested and made some personal visits before making my final decision. I chose Johnette Burman because of her already thriving non-pro program. When I shared with her my goals they seemed to mesh well with her own.

Breezy arrived at his new home in Temecula on December 29th. I went back and rode him this past Saturday and was extremely pleased. Johnette seems to be getting along with him really well and I have already seen some improvements. I also really like her style of coaching. She always gives the 'why', which is really helpful for me.

Our 1st show will be the Sun Circuit, January 25th thru February 2nd. I am extremely excited! We are going to enter the Amateur Reining and attempt to qualify for the AQHA World Show held in November (going to the World Show would be an absolute dream come true!!!).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Kristin, this is big news! I'm inspired by your dedication and passion. Praying for great fun, joy, and satisfaction as you train for your shows. Miss you!

ellen b. said...

Sounds great Kristin!

Anonymous said...

I am very excited about your decision. It will be fun to come to a show and see the improvements.

Vera

Anonymous said...

Kristin you have a full plate to get too the Worlds but if anyone can do it, YOU CAN with lots of Breezy's help. xoxo mom