Thursday, April 14, 2005

No More Planes...PLEASE!

WOW...What a trip!

My boss and I flew out of John Wayne at 9am Tuesday morning. We landed in Houston around 2pm for a 2 hour layover. Then we got on a plane headed for Charlotte, NC. However, once we got near the airport they closed it down due to severe weather. We flew in a circle waiting to things to clear up, but when we began to run out of fuel we were rerouted to Charleston, SC. We landed in Charleston, waited on the plane for a half hour and then they let us off the plane to wait in the now closed down airport. Donn and I were starving, having been well past dinner time by now. However, the only food options where inside the souvenir shop. I had a bag of Skittles and Donn had some salted peanuts. After about an hour in the Charleston airport they let us back on the plane and we headed back to Charlotte. By the time we got off the plane in Charlotte, haled a cab and got to our hotel, it was midnight. However, we still hadn't really had dinner yet. So we hoofed it to the nearest restaurant in the rain. We were exhausted and quite punchy at this point, but it felt good to be out side and stretching out legs.

The next morning started with a 7:30am wait-up call (keep in mid that this is 4:30am CA time). My eyes felt heave and I just wanted to stay in bed. I drug myself over to the mirror and was quickly aware of why my eyes felt so heavy. They were totally swollen and red. I looked like once of those big gold fish with the bugged out eyes. When I met Donn for breakfast he refused to even look at me claiming that they made him sick to his stomach (yes, this made me feel much better). We had 9am and 10:30am appointments (which I won't go into deals about being the discreet HR pro that I am). Then the cab came to pick us up to take us to the airport at noon. Our 2:35pm (11:35pm CA time) flight was delayed by an hour. Turning out 1 hour and 5 minute lay over in Houston only a 5minute layover. We found ourselves speed walking from the B terminal to the E terminal on direct opposite ends of the airport. We got to out next plane just in time...hot and sweaty, but on time. I was really not look forward to getting on another plane. This was just way too much airplane time in such a short period. And my travel companion wasn't very entertaining. The second we got in the air he would fall fast asleep and then wake up just as the landing gear was hitting the runway. We ended up getting back to The OC last night at 8pm.


PLEASE...N O M O R E P L A N E S ! ! !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! Although I realize that I am posting my reply years after you wrote about this experience, I can't help but wonder what on earth happened to cause your eyes to swell up so? As I read your account about it I remembered when I went to our public high school and whenever they had grilled cheeses or ham my eyes and face swelled up that way too. So I can't help but wonder whether anything you did manage to eat after the airport fiasco might have caused it. Oh I am a rider as well, showed as a junior back East. Do you still ride at all? I'll check back, and hope to hear from you despite the passage of time :)