Monday, April 21, 2008

Del Mar - Day 4

Friday and Saturday I got good schools in and felt ready for Sunday. I was entered in several Non Pro classes that all ran concurrently.

Our turns weren't great. Our circles were good. But, our run downs were not good. Extremely chargey. As soon as I'd face Breezy down ring he'd bolt. Ended up with a 69 1/2 & a 70. We got one 1st, a 2nd, a couple 4ths and a couple 5ths. And I was feeling a bit discouraged that all our schooling didn't pay off. So Johnette suggested showing him again a few hours later in the Novice Horse Non Pro.

So we went into the show pen with a different strategy for the $500 Novice Horse class. Instead of planning to show my horse and 'hoping' that he would be good, I went in with the plan to show my horse and 'make' him be good. And we scored a 72 & a 71 to win the class and my first pewter! What we think was happening was that when I would 'hope' for him to be good I would stiffen. And when I plan to 'make' him be good I say relaxed. Whatever the psychology, it works! So not only did we end the show with a win, but also learned something that I think will really pay off next weekend at the Hollywood Charity Show in Burbank!

So I am now in New York for work and will get home late Thursday night, change out the close in the suit case, sleep for a couple hours, and then head to Burbank early Friday morning to show my horse and 'make' him be good. Hoping to win a belt buckle!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are checking off one goal at a time. Belt buckle and saddle are the last two you are waiting for right?

Those two might be the hardest to win but I think you will reach all of your goals sooner or later. You are just that kind of gal, never gives up on a goal.

ellen b. said...

AT Del Mar, in New York, girl it's hard to keep up with you... you globe trotter! Well done in changing your attitude to help keep Breezy in check.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the win! Way to end strong. Enjoy NYC this week. :)

Anonymous said...

Too bad we could not stay to see the good results. Good job. Keep it up. Love you much Vera.