Friday, September 24, 2004

Nervous, but Encouraged

So I am supposed to share deep thoughts and feelings on this thing. Alright, lets try feelings. I feel...Nervous. Nervous because tonight we are having a party at our house to get to know our neighbors. We have lived in this house since March and only know two neighbors. Now keep in mind that this has not been all our fault. Between nasty grams left on our cars for parking on the street in front of another house (mind you that it is a public street and we have 4 cars in our household and a red curb infront of out house), getting toilet papered, and being flipped off by young children, the neighborhood has not exactly seemed to have open arms. So last Thursday night Dave and I walked around our street and placed an invitation on the door or in the hand of every neighbor on the street (22 houses in all). At first people were stand-offish, but I once they figured out that we weren't selling them anything they seemed very friendly. But, the most encouraging thing happened last night as we were cooking and I was writing out Col. 4:2-6 on a card (I'll explain later). The doorbell rang and it was a neighbor. When I opened the door she handed me a box wrapped and tied with a bow. She said that she would not be able to make it to the party, but wanted to drop this off for us. It was a gift! A gift for us! Once she left I tore into the wrapping to reveal the most adorable ceramic salt and pepper shakers adorned with fall leaves. I felt so encouraged. I still feel encouraged!

So back to Col. 4:2-6. I love these verses and they have been a focus for the last few weeks since the Pastor's Retreat.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; making the most of every opportunity. Let your conversations always be full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Col. 4:2-6

I was trying to memorize it, but it hasn't quite happened yet so I jotted it down on a 3x5 card so I could read it throughout the day today. Pray that our household is able to live out these verses tonight at the party.

No comments: