Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My New Saddle

My new saddle has arrived!

About 5 months ago my mom decided that I needed a new saddle. I had been making due with my old one that I won back in 1993 and said "High Point All Around Junior Rider" on the fender. Now that I am almost 30 and pretty far from a junior rider a new saddle made sense. Not to mention that my old saddle has probably seen thousands of rides. I started ridding for Rick soon after I won the saddle and for a span of about 3 years was ridding 10+ horses a day in it. And it is definitely worse for all that wear.

So at the last horse show my mom decided that she could not watch me show again in that saddle and told me that she was going to buy me a new saddle whether I liked it or not. So I started working on the design. I spent a lot of time on-line and finally pieced all the parts together. I choose the silver with the little gold sliding horses, the color compliment my horse and the color of my chaps and even the tooling patterns.

The flower pattern I choose is called "Payson". I choose this in honor of my grandfather. He and my grandmother lived in Payson (my grandma still does) and I would spend much of every summer with them growing up. I really think he was a cowboy at heart. He and my grandmother were always very supportive of my adventures with horses and I even gave him one of the 1st belt buckets that I won. When he passed away several years ago I got that buckle back. This is a away I can honor his memory and keep him a part of my continued horseback adventures.




Even the silver conchos in the gullet have the reining horses on them!

I just love my new saddle! Thank you so much, Mommy!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It was my pleasure love. So nice are the words you wrote about Grandpa.
You do us all proud! And yes, Grandpa was a Cowboy at Heart.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful saddle and wonderful tribute to your grandfather.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin! The saddle is gorgeous. I love how special and detailed it is. May God give you much joy as you continue to ride!

Anonymous said...

What a special story! Love the intricate detail on your saddle...so pretty. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for visiting my blog, too...I'll try to visit yours more often! :)

Anonymous said...

Kristin, I don't know much about western saddles but this one is obviously beautiful. I'm sure you will enjoy many wonderful rides in it!